Archive for the ‘Places and Buildings’ Category

Yates Horse

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Yates Horse. Click picture for larger image.

Yates Horse. Click picture for larger image.

This is Clifford Coombs (1889-1971), who later lived in Hartland Four Corners, with Mr. Yates’ horse while living at the Yates farm.

Curtis Flower Home

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Curtis Flower Home. Click picture for larger image.

Curtis Flower Home. Click picture for larger image.

This brick hone in Hartland Four Corners was the home of Curtis Flowers and his wife Nellie Davis Flowers.  It later was remodeled into two apartments.

Hartland Four Corners Postcard

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Hartland Four Corners Postcard. Click picture for larger image.

Hartland Four Corners Postcard. Click picture for larger image.

This postcard shows the Asa Lull Tavern, Four Corners School, Spear House and a fourth house, often called the “Varney” House”.

Barrell’s Garage

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Barrell's Garage. Click picture for larger image.

Barrell's Garage. Click picture for larger image.

This garage was operated for a time in the 1920’s by Frank Barrell and then by Ray Downing prior to his purchase of the Sykes Garage on Route 5 north of the village.  The Barrell garage was located opposite Mike’s Store on Route 5 South.

The Yates Farm

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

The Yates Farm. Click picture for larger image.

The Yates Farm. Click picture for larger image.

The Yates farm was a brick cape style house located outside Four Corners.  It was later the home of  Mr. and Mrs. George Seldes.  Mr. Seldes was a well-known foreign correspondent and author.

Jenneville School 1907

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Jenneville School  1907<br />Click picture for larger image.

Jenneville School 1907Click picture for larger image.

Students:   Ralph Duncan, Allan Rice, David Rice, Helen Balch, Emma Sawyer, Freddie ~, ~Rice, Nellie Sawyer, Daisy ~
Winnie Davis   Teacher

Belle Davis Roadhouse

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

belledavisroadhousehartland2

Belle Davis Roadhouse. Click picture for larger image.

This is the Belle Davis Roadhouse in North Hartland.  It is north of the Green along. Route 5, at the crest of the hill.

Spot O’ Pines Cabins

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

be334These cabins were located where I-91 goes under Rte 5 and were removed when the Interstate was built.

Fitzgerald Wayside Spa and Garage, North Hartland

Saturday, July 26th, 2014

Fitzgerald Wayside Spa and Garage

Fitzgerald Wayside Spa and Garage

The Fitzgerald home is on the right.

The Fitzgerald home is on the right.

Bertha Chamberlain of North northhartlandvtpoHartland married Arthur Fitzgerald of Canada. Bertha became the postmistress of North Hartland and Arthur operated a garage next door. These pictures also show the Wayside Spa. The group of buildings were located along what is now Route 5.

Click picture for larger image

Click picture for larger image

The McArthur Farm

Friday, July 25th, 2014

Located about one mile from Three Corners on the Quechee Road is this brick Federal style house containing 6 Rumford style fireplaces. Probably built in 1805 by John Willard, the house was sold in 1872 to Johnson McArthur for $3,100. For over 50 years it stayed in the McArthur family. It was sold in 1926 to settle an estate. Johnson Amos McArthur and his wife, Marie Sophie Jones, are shown here. The house is now home to the Dr. George Little family.

The McArthur Farm

The McArthur Farm

This is from the writings of Louise Selling (contributed by Carol Little)

“Oliver Willard was one of the earliest settlers of Hartland, coming probably with a King’s Grand to the land which doubtless included this acreage, later known as lot #6 in the first range, since one of his descendants, sons or grandsons, was the first recorded owner: James Notting Willard. ”

“On Feb 1, 1794 James Notting Willard sold this plot of land to another James N. Willard, possibly his son, for the sum of 90 pounds. No buildings appear to have existed at that time.”

“Very likely James N. Willard began the construction of this house soon after he purchased the land. When he sold the land to his son John Willard on Feb 25, 1805 the value had increased to $1,000 which fact definately indicates that the house had been built sometime between 1794 and 1805.”

“John Willard seems to have falen upon hard times because on Mar 19, 1819 he was obliged to mortgage his property to William Jarvis of Weathersfield and lost the property to him five years later, Oct 2, 1824. William Jarvis sold it to William Ashley who paid up the $650 mortgage and paid $600 cash in addition.”

“Ashley however, kept the property only seven years, as he sold it to H. Woodward on July 17, 1833 for $1875.00. Whether land values boomed or whether new farm buildings were erected during the next 20 years, the estate became much more valuable and was next sold on Nov 22, 1854 for $4,000 to Theodore Gallup.”

“Theodore Gallup did not live many years to enjoy his farm as on Dec 28, 1869 his widow, Emeline, sold it to Mr. Harlow for $3350 who sold it three years later on Oct. 16, 1872 for $3100 to Johnson McArthur.”

“For over 50 years thereafter the farm belonged to one member or another of the McArthur family, coming to be known as the McArthur farm, a name which lingers to the present day. Within the family the ownership changed as follows: Johnson McArthur, grandfather of Dean McArthur who was born in the house and now resides in Hartland, sold to his son Leonard on March 28, 1895. Leonard died in 1926, leaving it to his wife, Minnie who sold it on July 7, 1926 in order to settle the estate to Ralph Beaton.”

“On June 30, 1934 Great Oakes was purchased jointly by Lara (Sara?) Varney and Louise G. Selling for $3500.” Apparently Selling and Varney named it “Great Oakes” .

“July 1, 1942 35 acres of pasture land was sold to the Rogers family for $500 leaving about 30 acres of land.” Louise G. Selling

The brook that goes by the property is still known today as the McArthur Brook.

mcarthur2mcarthur3mcarthur4

Johnson Amos McArthur and Mary Sophia (Jones) McArthur

Johnson Amos McArthur and Mary Sophia (Jones) McArthur